Tires, 235/40R17, Few Choices, Advice?

Welcome to the GGC Autocross Program Forums GGC Autocross Forums Autocross Discussion Tires, 235/40R17, Few Choices, Advice?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nicolas Moss
    Keymaster

At some point I’m going to have to replace my tires, maybe before November. I’m looking for something I can keep on the car, so streetable. Looking on TireRack, there are only three choices (and no Michelins, my standard go-to), with one of those (Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec) on close-out at $210/tire.

I’m wedded to keeping the car in time-capsule mode (and just purchased five of the Style 22 wheels so I’ll have plenty of backups as I’ve broken two that came with the car), so not looking to go to bigger rims until absolutely necessary. And I’m not (yet) so far gone into the AutoX scene to get a different set of rims/tires for meets.

The other two choices, Falken Azenis RT615K+ ($159.00) and Toyo Proxes R1R ($183.00).

So I guess the question for today is: are the Star Spec tires so good to the point where I’d want to buy them now for later?

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

The Star Specs ZIIs are good… before the Bridgestone RE71R came out, it was a very popular autocross tire as were the Z1s. Problem is, if road noise matters to you, none of the choices you have will be quiet dual-duty tires.

Bummer your Style 22’s are 7.5″ wide. If they were 8.0″ wide you could move up to a 245 wide tire and have all kinds of choices.

The close-out tires are fresh-ish, so sitting on them for a few months won’t matter much.

Nicolas Moss
    Keymaster

Thanks for the thoughts on the SSpecs. The Falken RT615K+ seem to be pretty well liked, and $50/tire cheaper. Any idea if either of these tires would be worse than the Yokohama SDrives I have for wet weather? Or have I been nuts all along driving in the rain with the SDrives…?

Phillip Blacklock
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I have 245/40R17 RE71R’s on the same Style 22 wheels. Like Jeff mentioned, they are not a good dual duty tire and likely don’t fit what you’re after, but they are an option.

Nicolas Moss
    Keymaster

Hrm… I hadn’t thought about going up to 245. My car may be sitting a little bit lower (I think its got some Dinan suspension bits on it); do you have any issue with rubbing? I’m also curious about the taller sidewall. I’m really new to autox so I’m sure I don’t have things set up very well, but I’ve been having trouble keeping the fronts from rolling too far onto their sides (those little wear triangles are gone). At the last event, I had them up to 44lbs, which seems kind of nutty to me. Toyo Proxes R1R’s come in 245/35, but I haven’t heard enough good things about them to warrant choosing them over the Falken RT615K+. And just to make things extra complicated, if I do consider 245/40, that size includes Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which have much better wet handling). So… very curious about sidewall height!

Jeff Roberts
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.