New BMW owner/autocrosser

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Smith
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to get into autocrossing my “new” 09 328i coupe. I’d like to come observe and possibly ride along at the next meet (which looks like its this weekend), since I am completely new to the scene. Would anyone be willing to offer a ride-along? I’d be willing to do work during the runs, to get a feel for that as well 🙂 .

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

I’d like to suggest you classify your car, and sign up for your 1st AX this week. You can request a coach to ride with you at signup, and there will be plenty of helpful friendly people to answer any questions during the day & at your worker position.

Brad Vaughan
    Participant

You will always be able to grab a ride with for the first few runs in each run group.

You are welcome in mine. Just look for the Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 in A class..

I support Daves comment.. Just jump in.. Plenty of people to coach and assist you in your first AX.

Brad

Andrew Smith
    Participant

Are there loaner helmets by chance? It looks like mine won’t get here until next week. If that’s the case, I’ll register this week! Thanks for the help getting started.

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

Yes, there are loaner helmets. BTW, you are also welcome to ride with me if you are free when Gonzo runs.

Dave – #116

Andrew Smith
    Participant

That’s great, thanks! I’ll look out for you.

I registered for the event and am in the B class #700. See ya Saturday!

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

Excellent! I’m looking forward to meeting you Saturday. If the trend from the last 2 events continues, you’ll be driving 2nd, working 3rd, and the AA & C classes will be running 1st where you can find a ride with some very skilled drivers. Jeff can pipe in if this is not the case.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Thanks everyone… Welcome Andrew! You made the right choice jumping right in.

Dave is right, the rotation for next weekend is:

Run group 1: Car classes AA & C – This group will DRIVE FIRST and WORK SECOND
    Run group 2: Car classes AAA & B – This group will DRIVE SECOND and WORK THIRD
    Run group 3: Car classes A & GONZO – This group will DRIVE THIRD and WORK FIRST

We have a fairly low count signed up as of today so we’re looking at 8 official runs (1 being practice) and I’m sure plenty of time for fun runs at the end of the day = more seat time for your GGC dollar.

You will have a blast and I look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

Andrew Smith
    Participant

Well, now I’m a member, registered and my helmet came in :cheer: Perfect timing.

Thanks for all the help getting set up, hopefully I didn’t miss anything.

Brad Vaughan
    Participant

Andrew,

Remember you registering and I see you had 6 seconds improvement from first to last run.. I hope you got all the ride/help you needed on the day. 6 seconds is a massive amount on that course ..

Hope we will see you next time…

Brad

Andrew Smith
    Participant

Yeah definitely, everyone was helpful and I had a great coach — probably what resulted in the huge time gap. I’m definitely going to try to make next month’s meet.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Coach feedback on the coachees was also very positive Andrew. I really feel Saturday was a huge success in that department. I try my best to talk to everyone who’s new before, during and after their runs and often I don’t even need to ask at the after conversation. The big grins tell the whole story.

I spoke with Marianne while she was in her car patiently waiting for her first run and I saw a bit of apprehension in her eyes. She went from 83.xxx to a tire squealing 64.2… everyone working the trailer was cheering her on.

It’s a lot to take in for a first time and you all did really well! I know you drove a long distance, as many of our regulars do, and hope you come back for more.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.