Cones out of the Box

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

Hmmmm, anyone want to comment?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEs5ux1phTY

Nigel Mott
    Participant

OK Dave. I’ll bite…

I think his point might have been that he was unhappy about cones out of the box?? I could be wrong. 😉

One might even disagree with his fundamental premise. If a cone was perfectly centered in the box and he moved it 4 inches, it would still be ‘in the box’ and no time penalty would be assessed. By this logic every cone was, actually, in the box. (See! I do pay attention at Jeff’s Drivers Meetings….) 🙂

This video helped me in two regards. I was blown away by how close he actually came to cones and I hope that I never get this worked up about a hobby, that is supposed to be fun, run by volunteers, during their free time, with a small glass trophy for the winner at the end of the season. Of course, with this attitude, it’s very likely that my name will never be on the trophy….. Oh well.

Andy Daniels
    Participant

“I didn’t care.” Hah! I have to wonder why he keeps AXing with that particular club if doing so is driving him to apoplexy. Surely there are other opportunities to drive wherever he is. Why keep doing something that leaves you that angry and frustrated?

On the other hand, if whoever is running those AXes is going to be that casual about cones out of the box, then they shouldn’t be chalking them that tightly. Those lines are right up against the bases of the cones.

Anyway, from his comments in the video and the written comments, I strongly suspect that cones aren’t the real issue, but only a symptom of his problems with that group.

Jack Yu

Technically, I agree with him that the cones should be in the box, which makes it fair for everyone to get the same exact course. A few moved cones could make a difference in tight competition. But, I also don’t see him bitching about cones out of the box to his ADVANTAGE either. He may just be super OCD about the course being the same all the time, and I get it, to a certain degree.

If the cones were that noticeably outside the box, he should have just gotten a re-run. I’ve seen people in our events stop for a few inches outside the box (which are hard to catch going at speed BTW) so it’s really no big deal. But if a person like that constantly stops for a re-run for cones BARELY out of the box, then I would have a talk with him and his OCD issue. At that point he’s just delaying the whole day and eating into everyone else’s time.

I also agree with the comments. It is just a volunteer, not-so-serious event for 50 bucks, where people fixing downed cones may be doing so for the first time ever, so I wouldn’t get so aggravated about such small differences. If it were a national competition perhaps, but I’d think those events would have more experienced cone workers.

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

He needs a faster car so he doesn’t have time to see if a cone is touching the box.

Nigel Mott
    Participant

LOL..! Great perspective. Would a LeGrand do the trick?

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

I can’t even see the dash in that car! But you’re a lot closer to the cones.

Michael Kolesar
    Participant

I think it is absolutely hysterical how upset he is about a fun (not making money for winning!) event. Have I stopped for a cone that was still touching the box but out of position? Yes I have but it is a very rare occasion. I think the guy is just totally hilarious about how OCD he is about it, sorted and titled video files!

Henry Loh
    Keymaster

In his defense, we do encourage our kids to try to think outside the box.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.