Autocross #7 Timer mis-function

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jack Yu

I just wanted to say, even though my time was shortened in Run Group 3 due to “timer mis-function”, I still had a lot of fun hanging out, getting rides and enjoying the great weather. Tim, I know you feel bad, but this stuff can happen to anyone and the timer was in a really bad place (many of us had thought this during our course walk). We’ll just learn from it and remember to put it in a safer spot next time! All that really matters is everyone still had fun and TDS is only two weeks away!

Rob Powers
    Participant

The timer got run over?! I missed the drama because I left after finishing my work stint after RG2.

How many timed runs did people get in for RG3?

Jack Yu

I was in the middle of the group and was on my 3rd run, so everyone got 2, some 3.

hoffmeister_kink
    Keymaster

We need to get a replacement unit ASAP.
    Maybe some of us can pitch in and order what needs to get replaced before the TDS?

RaceAmerica is in SantaClara according to their website :woohoo:

Rob Powers
    Participant

That’s a bummer. It was definitely a layout that took a handful of runs to get the hang of.

Memet Aytolu
    Participant

After working the first session & waiting through the second, it really was a shame that our run got canceled after only 2 runs ๏Œ

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Thanks for starting this thread Jack.

First, it could have been any one of us who spun out at the finish. During the course walk I saw where the t-link was placed, off the concrete to the outside of the last corner. A few of us were there and thought it was risky because we thought cars would likely go wide and possibly spin to the left. I made the decision to move it to the inside of that corner and after talking with Matt and Dave today, we all agreed it seemed like the right thing to do.

I was coaching Tim on that lap, doing what I do… encouraging people to be aggressive and charge the course. I had people in my right seat doing that for me too. Spins happen… if you’re not spinning out, you’re not trying hard enough. I learned a bit from that experience… Tim handled the spin and no one got hurt.

[b]T-Link[/b]
    Matt and I brought the t-link to Race America this afternoon and they are going to evaluate it. They said it was likely we’d have it sorted out by the end of this week – so no concerns about TDS on the 3rd.

Our very supportive treasurer, Tamara Hull, has asked me to look into purchasing a spare so we are covered for this situation in the future.

We now know how to use the equipment in manual mode. ๐Ÿ™‚ Some longer cables will be made to have on hand as a backup to the backup.

[b]RG3 – Points[/b]
    My team and I talked about the situation and all agree that we should treat this as other clubs do… like a washout from a storm. RG3 participants get their 1 participation point, but we cannot count the times because everyone didn’t get the same number of runs. So 0 additional points. We drop the lowest point event this season, this will be that event for AAA and B.

I am open to your thoughts, so if you have any, please chime in.

[b]RG3 – Credit[/b]
    Since everyone in RG3 worked first and hung out all day to run and didn’t get their full runs, I am going to issue you a credit in MSR to be used for a future event.

I have an open door policy, so if there are concerns or comments, please post them here. You are a classy group of folks, well most of you, so keep it classy. If you can’t, you have my e-mail address. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for your understanding!

Ryan Rich

Very well said Jeff!

Tim Uptegrove
    Participant

To Run Group 3
    This is Tim the “Mad Spinner”.
    First of all I want to thank Jeff and Jack for the kind words. I also heard the same thing from several of you at the event and I appreciate it. Jeff took some of the responsibilty and I ‘m not certain he should since I was the one driving and I knew from earlier events that my car this year has a very different reaction to throttle input than the naturally aspirated Z4 I had been driving. Matt and I had also talked a couple of time about the need for “throttle modulation” when driving a turbocharged car.
    I realize that spins happen in this event but I can’t tell you how grateful I am that no one was hurt, just a piece of equipment and some cosmetic damage to my rim and tire.
    My sincerest apologies to the rest of Run Group 3 for ruining the rest of the runs for you. I had made a suggestion to Jeff for a solution but the solution they came up with seems to be more than fair. If any of you are angry about the incident, I don’t blame you, and if any of you want to talk to me about it feel free. In case you do my car is #417
    2011 Space Gray 335is with a european delivery plate on the front.
    Tim

Mark Mervich
    Participant

As I posted in the wrong place, things like this happen. It is a learning experience. Jeff, thanks for the credit.
    I am certainly disappointed in not getting a few more tries at the course as it was fast n’ fun. ๐Ÿ™‚
    See you all at TDS.
    Mark

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

I can see that course returning for a Test-n-Tune early next year.

I will have replacement timing equipment tomorrow. We’re on for TDS!

Memet Aytolu
    Participant

Well said Jeff. Accidents do happen and I’m sure everyone in RG3 is disappointed w/what happened (including me), but sometimes there is nothing one can do

Jim Hildreth
    Participant

I agree that s__ happens. So it goes… Thanks to everyone for trying.
    It would be nice to have a plan in advance that when you know you can’t run the event as contest any more, you move it to being fun runs. This could have been at 4-4:30? on Sunday (or during the second run group if that’s when something happens). It was a great course and I would have loved a few more goes at it.

Steven Purta
    Participant

Well said Jeff! Accidents happen, and I’m glad to see such a positive reaction from the club as a whole.

Also, It’s great to see the club so willing to support it’s members financially! Contributing to a club feels much better when you see time and again that they use the funding for the members’ benefit.

Edit: Also in support of fun-runs in this situation. Though I don’t know how safe that would have been in this particular instance with everyone so close to the course while attempting to remedy the situation.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.