What was your favorite course element?

Welcome to the GGC Autocross Program Forums GGC Autocross Forums Autocross Discussion What was your favorite course element?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dave Sparks
    Participant

The Top Driver Shootout is coming up fast, and I’m about to start work on the course design. I want to try to pack as many different fun elements into it that I can.

What was your favorite element from any of the courses over the last couple of years? Also, if there’s some other element you really like that we haven’t done yet, let me know.

Thanks,
    Dave

Rob Powers
    Participant

How about a ‘randomized’ slalom that is driver’s choice? By randomized, I mean changing the spacing between cones and/or offsetting some of them 2-3 feet off the center line.

The layout could be such that going one way through them could allow a faster entry but punish you on the exit from the element. Going the other way would punish you up front but allow a faster exit.

Barring that, how about a decreasing-radius 270 degree turnaround (with the overlap on exit)..

Hal Dorton
    Participant

The most difficult for me is the 180 degree turn after a high speed straight. I also like the wider courses to choose my own line.

James Keane
    Participant

Here are a couple elements I like discovering.

1. “Easter Egg” straights. Where you can make a short sequence of corners into a mini-straight if you get the line just right. See Station #5 at candlestick http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/media/kunena/attachments/47/20120729-candlestickSiteMap-FINAL.pdf

2. “Dummy” corner cones. Where the cones marking a corner have nothing to do with the line you take to set up for the following corner. e.g. if you hug the inside line of the corner then you are going to exit at the wrong speed or angle.

3. Like Hal, I like the challenge of high speed straights followed by heavy, tight braking which then leads to a medium speed something or the other. This punishes you if you overbrake or underbrake.

James

Tony Holland
    Participant

I have an idea… how about eliminating the “high speed” parts. Slaloms in a long corner are always exciting.
    Speaking for the cars with less than 175hp =D

Mark Mervich
    Participant

I like slaloms with long enough spacing that they entice me to try to take them full speed in 2nd.
    Mark

Jack Yu

I like the loops that cross over onto itself, creating the 4 way intersection.

Brian Shadle
    Participant

[quote]I like the loops that cross over onto itself, creating the 4 way intersection.[/quote]

That also makes a good cross-over point.

We haven’t done this much this season, but a tight technical section where the cones are narrowly spaced and force you to put in some extreme steering inputs followed by a higher speed section are always fun (possibly into a hairpin turn).

Ratko
    Participant

[quote=”bmerdoc” post=793]Speaking for the cars with less than 175hp =D[/quote]
    … and tails hanging out the trunk 😆

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

[quote=”dacat” post=808]I like the loops that cross over onto itself, creating the 4 way intersection.[/quote]

+1!

I also liked the THill Turn 8-like corner/straight we had at this past weekend’s event.

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

[quote=”jeffroberts” post=829]
    I also liked the THill Turn 8-like corner/straight we had at this past weekend’s event.[/quote]
    +1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.