Tires good for both street and autocross?

Welcome to the GGC Autocross Program Forums GGC Autocross Forums Autocross Discussion Tires good for both street and autocross?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hoffmeister_kink
    Keymaster

I’m looking for suggestions for new tires that work for both street and autocross. I’m too lazy to carry a set of wheels and tires to and from the autocross.

I’m currently running on the Bridgestone RE-11R, prior to that I had Dunlop Z1 Star Specs and l liked them a lot!
    I’m leaning on the going back to the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs, but there’s the Hankook RS-3 out there too.

Unfortunately the Hankook RS-3s now cost as much as the Dunlops so price will not play a deciding factor here.

Suggestions? Any other brands? Size is 255/35R18

Thanks. Maybe I can get these on before the Test and Tune…

Hal Dorton
    Participant

The Star Specs will be ready for the first run.. RS3s need heat to work well and as a single driver your tires cool down too much between runs to be effective.

hoffmeister_kink
    Keymaster

Thanks Hal.
    Seems like a lot of people who had the Dunlops and went elsewhere all are reminiscing the Dunlops.

I guess the rear fenders are gonna rub for a while then!

Brian Shadle
    Participant

Anyone on the forum have a comparison of the Star Specs vs the Yokohama ADVAN’s for AutoX or Track Grip? Currently torn between the two myself.

hoffmeister_kink
    Keymaster

Which ADVAN model are you referring to?

AD08? Sport? etc.

Brian Shadle
    Participant

AD08

Matthew Visser
    Participant

Latest issue of Car and Driver did a summer tire comparo. They ran the top 10 summer tires on a dry and wet autox course. They used a 3-series for the tests.

On the dry course, the AD008 were fastest followed by the Hankook. I think the Dunlops were next.

James Keane
    Participant

But they didn’t include the Bridgestone RE-11s in the comparo. For the life of me I can’t figure out why seeing as it is one of the top performing tires. Currently my current favorite autox tire – nothing of course to do with the fact that they are the only decent tire that will fit my honking big 19″ wheels.

James

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.