Thanks all the AutoX team

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brad Vaughan
    Participant

And thanks to all the first-timers who turned up and had a go. I thought to today had some great energy.

Very challenging course to navigate for your first time out, but from what I could see it went fairly smoothly. The track was great after you managed to work out where to look.

Had a blast. Congrats to James for some brilliant driving in A class.

Hope we will see some photos from the large number of camera floating around today..

Rob Powers
    Participant

I had a blast! Thanks to everyone today.. There were a lot of cones that needed to be picked up (I know I was responsible for a handful of them).

Had fun coaching too.. Very nice day overall.

I also want to congratulate James on schooling us in A. Nice driving!

an nguyen
    Participant

thanks to all volunteers for a fun course!
    ps were timing gremlins ever id’ed?

Jack Yu

Great course…thanks Dave for designing and the team that laid it out the night before.
    Great having all the first timers, it was a pleasure to coach them and they were all grins.

No offense to James, but Tristan had the schooling award at 77 seconds. Sick, sick times.

Awesome day, thanks again Jeff and Rodger for running the show today!

Tristan Littlehale
    Participant

What a blast today was! Thanks to Jeff, Rodger and everyone else who helped. We could never do this without you guys! It was great seeing everyone after a year of being MIA. Seeing my past students becoming hard-core autocrossers, to old friends was a nice welcome back. Hope to make it to the next event!

–Tristan

Mark Mervich
    Participant

Very fun course. I enjoyed getting to help 3 people drive faster, too.
    Thanks to all the people who put in the extra effort for this site.
    Mark

Eric Cheung
    Participant

My hat is off to you, my friend. I can only hope to do 77’s in my dreams. :>)

Eric C

James Keane
    Participant

Have to +1 on the quality of the course and the setting. In my almost three years of autox, that was my absolute favorite course – bar none!

[b]Pros[/b]
    – Length. Length. Length. Gotta love 80-90 seconds. I would actually pay more for a longer course if that’s what it took.
    – The corner combinations that could be taken in almost a straight line if you set up properly. There was at least 4 of these and it was fun discovering them.
    – The long back straightaway that had us E46’ers hitting the rev limiter in second. The right angle wall at the end forced you to be serious about picking a braking point.
    – The surface was actually much better than all the “stick” hype led me to believe – and I was in the first run group too. Great work in sweeping the surface.
    – Elevation changes. Loved the little carousel at the turn-around point.
    – Location. Being up in the Bay Area brings lots of old and new faces, plus it’s a shorter commute 🙂

[b]Cons[/b]
    – New folks got a little lost in the “sea of cones”. Granted, this is going to happen to some new folks regardless, but the extra length definitely added more to memorize. The folks I was coaching made great improvements through their runs. Perhaps that was a factor of having extra seat time? Five 90-second runs equals ten normal runs….

i know there are big challenges with logistics and costs in making this type of special event happen, but I want to commend the folks involved.

Great stuff designers and organizers!

Cheers,
    James

Mark Mervich
    Participant

[quote=”jkeane” post=564]Have to +1 on the quality of the course and the setting. In my almost three years of autox, that was my absolute favorite course – bar none!

[b]Cons[/b]
    – New folks got a little lost in the “sea of cones”. Granted, this is going to happen to some new folks regardless, but the extra length definitely added more to memorize. The folks I was coaching made great improvements through their runs. Perhaps that was a factor of having extra seat time? Five 90-second runs equals ten normal runs….

i know there are big challenges with logistics and costs in making this type of special event happen, but I want to commend the folks involved.

Great stuff designers and organizers!

Cheers,
    James[/quote]
    +1 on the problems for new folks. I was literally pointing which way to turn. I think we should consider assigning coaches to newbes. And maybe some regulars as I DNFed 3 of my runs :unsure:
    Mark

Mark Mervich
    Participant

I also am a +1 on the course length and I would take the Stick over Golden Gate Fields any day. Next time I will use my experience to adj my suspension for the unique surface.
    Mark

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

[quote=”AutoXer” post=565]And maybe some regulars as I DNFed 3 of my runs :unsure:
    Mark[/quote]
    Mark, just slow down!!! 😛

Brock Parsons
    Participant

I thought the day ran very well, despite the huge crowd of newbies and the timer glitches. I LOVED the course, especially the little ‘gifts’ you would find when you got the line just right, as well as the ‘traps’ where you would get bit if you believed what you thought you were looking at. That said, it WAS a tricky course to see – I had about 3 times the number of rides as a Driver Coach as at any other event, and was continuing to help spot the course for my drivers even into the third or fourth run. I made mistakes despite having helped lay it out. If we would want to continue to do this scale of course (and I think we should!) I think we would need to have another hundred-plus additional cones to be able to provide a visual density that would be easier to follow. But, is there even room in the truck for ~100 more cones?!

Hal Dorton
    Participant

What a great course! The surface was consistent and the weather was fantastic. Good to see everyone and we enjoyed the competition.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Guys, thank you for putting up an amazing event and thanks to the coaches for helping us out. As a newb, got lost in the cones a bit, but loved the length of the course. Really appreciate it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.