September 14, 2013 – AX #6 Course Design

Welcome to the GGC Autocross Program Forums GGC Autocross Forums Autocross Discussion September 14, 2013 – AX #6 Course Design

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Charlie Davis
    Participant

Very nice course! Lots of “yee haa” and enough room to hang yourself without being dangerous, and some technical areas for balance!

John Kim
    Participant

I forgot to add, big thank you to my two coaches, who helped me drop 1.3 seconds from my 2nd run to my 6th run. One was Howard Yao and I can’t remember the other coach’s name.

Michael Martin
    Participant

A big Thank You to everyone who made this possible!! Jeff, Jack, Roger, Ryan, Dave, Brian, Michael and everyone! There were a TON of people but we still had a bunch of runs AND fun runs. Things went smoothly, no one got hurt, no cars got hurt (at least as far as I saw), and everyone had a ton of fun. It was a great course and a great day. Thanks again everyone! Can’t wait to do it again next month.

Andy Daniels
    Participant

[quote=”JeffC” post=1926]I was definitely struggling around this course. I called it my nemesis.[/quote]

This novice was encouraged when I discovered that the old hands were also having trouble figuring out the course. It was deceptively straightforward-looking on paper.

Jeff Cowan
    Participant

Indeed! Haha.

Michael Martin
    Participant

I’m surprised how many people are saying they had a hard time. I guess I just had an “on” day.

I was even on-er during our fun runs. Being a passenger with Dave and Jeff C. and Matt showed me where I could have improved. I beat my official time FOUR TIMES during the fun runs! ๐Ÿ˜›

Jack Yu

I thought I had a good time, until Praniel drove my car in fun runs and got a 40.7 Holy crap, I need to get better.

Jeff Cowan
    Participant

Wow! Nicely done MM. Glad I could help someone even if I couldn’t help myself :angry:

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

[quote=”JeffC” post=1949]Wow! Nicely done MM. Glad I could help someone even if I couldn’t help myself :angry:[/quote]

No one appreciates your helping Michael more than me… ๐Ÿ™‚

Michael Martin
    Participant

[quote=”jeffroberts” post=1951]
    No one appreciates your helping Michael more than me… :-)[/quote]

Hey I had you beat fair and square before riding along with the others! B)

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Isn’t this the excuse thread? ๐Ÿ™‚

“I’m just not competitive this year…” there’s another one for ya.

John Kim
    Participant

From that standpoint I need a good excuse after every event!

I’m trying to show improvement by comparing to myself. Since the course is different every time, the standard of comparison has to be how many seconds slower I am compared to the better drivers. (Or maybe how consistent or inconsistent my runs are.)

Every 3 or 4 months if my times are not getting any closer (because my driving is not improving), I console myself by spending money to make the car handle better! Eventually my car will be exactly like Jeff Roberts’ car except I’ll have 4 doors and he’ll have a sub-woofer. And then when he is still faster than me I will have no excuses left!

Donald Lew
    Participant

This was a very fun course, easy to enjoy, but requiring some precision to go fast. I felt it was a good course for practicing looking ahead for key cones, just wish I did it better! Need more practice! Thanks to all for putting on this wonderful event!

Don

Andy Daniels
    Participant

[quote=”LivesNearCostco” post=1954]Since the course is different every time, the standard of comparison has to be how many seconds slower I am compared to the better drivers.[/quote]
    Since each course [i]is[/i] different, I suggest looking at the [i]ratios[/i] of your times to those of the better drivers (or, equivalently, the difference of their logarithms) instead of raw time differences. That will better account for the differences in overall length and difficulty of the courses.

[quote]Or maybe how consistent or inconsistent my runs are.[/quote]
    Also good. At my level of experience, I’m happy if I see a consistent improvement in times throughout the day and look for consistency of line in the videos afterwards. Then, I look at my overall standing for the day and get depressed. ๐Ÿ™

John Kim
    Participant

Oh AMD, don’t confuse me with logic! If I take the ratios of the times, it will probably turn out I was just as far behind the fast drivers last Saturday as I usually am on the 53-second courses.

Likewise if I swapped cars with one of the E46 drivers who is running on all-seasons and doesn’t have coilovers. There’s the risk we will just swap times, proving I’m only faster because of car mods, not driving skill. I have to protect my ego!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.