# of Entries

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Justin Tsang
    Participant

Is there a limit on the # of entries? There are 113 signed up… Gonna be a long day for people that have to run/work Group C

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

We’ve always limited regular season events to 100 drivers. Unfortunately, that means 13 are on the wait list at this point and will not get in unless we have cancellations. Folks are moved from the wait list first in, first out, as spots open up.

I wish I could let everyone in, but we are at max capacity with 100 drivers.

Justin Tsang
    Participant

Makes sense. Thanks!

Michael Costa
    Participant

Have there been any cancellations yet, or is that updated tonight?

Cliff Oates
    Participant

I think Jeff processes our account charges tomorrow, so my guess would be any cancellations received prior to that.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

As I get them, I move people in. You’ll get notified if/when I can move you. After reg closes tomorrow I’ll let those who didn’t make it in know for sure. There have only been 3 since we sold out a week ago.

Interesting statistic: we had 90 people registered within the first week, 60 of which came within the first few days after reg opened.

We must be doing something right.

[quote=”jeffroberts” post=1543]We must be doing something right.[/quote]

No doubt, Jeff! You guys are the best! Given how long of a drive it is for me to Marina, I have considered getting a Porsche and focusing on PCA-GGR events in Alameda, which is only a 15 min drive from my house. But it’s your tightly run and enthusiastic team, along with the not-too-granular car classification system, that kept me in with the GGC BMW.
    The only suggestion I would make is to perhaps adjacently cluster run/work groups (make 4 of them) so that one doesn’t have to spend an entire day at the event. My 2c..

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

[quote=”bmw181″ post=1544]
    The only suggestion I would make is to perhaps adjacently cluster run/work groups (make 4 of them) so that one doesn’t have to spend an entire day at the event. My 2c..[/quote]

Thank you! The people are the reason I got involved in the first place and I truly look forward to seeing everyone each month. Event after event new people make a point of telling me how welcoming we are and that credit goes to our awesome members.

We used to have 4 run groups, and we tried it at 4/20’s event with limited success. We were short on workers and didn’t have enough coaches. Some people selflessly volunteered to work 3 sessions on course, while others did the same to coach. In true GGC style, people stepped up to make the event run smoothly.

After the event the team discussed it and decided we would stick with 3 groups so we have enough workers. Over 40% of our attendees are first-timers or novice drivers. I try my best to have one coach for every 2 coachees, and we need at least 17-19 workers to fill the rest of the positions in each group. Plus we have tech inspectors, staff, and gate workers. With 3 groups we have a few extras to fill in as needed or to cover no shows. We don’t get many, but sometimes people don’t show up and leave us short-handed.

There are many logistics to putting one of these together and 100/3 is not the only consideration. I wish it were that simple.

To be fair to all, we do rotate the run group order with each event. If your class ran last in May, you’ll run first this weekend, second next month, and so on.

[quote=”jeffroberts” post=1545]
    There are many logistics to putting one of these together and 100/3 is not the only consideration. I wish it were that simple. [/quote]
    I can’t even come close to imagining the complexity of putting these events together, so I certainly defer to your experience and expertise in deciding on the number of groups. Like I said, it was just my 2c 🙂

Michael Costa
    Participant

[quote=”jeffroberts” post=1543]As I get them, I move people in. You’ll get notified if/when I can move you. After reg closes tomorrow I’ll let those who didn’t make it in know for sure. There have only been 3 since we sold out a week ago.

Interesting statistic: we had 90 people registered within the first week, 60 of which came within the first few days after reg opened.

We must be doing something right.[/quote]

Yes, I got caught a bit off guard by how fast if it filled up. I had figured a week and half ahead of time would leave plenty of margin to get in. That was wrong. I think I was #104 last week, so maybe I have a shot at getting in. Good to know for next time.

It seems like the attendances are higher this year. I wonder if it is from holding the first cart control clinic of the year at Candlestick in conjunction with the first non-compete AutoX the next day?

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

No worries 181. The question comes up now and then so I wanted to give a little background.

Michael, this season has been amazingly successful so far. When I started attending back in 2009, you had to be registered within the first couple of days or you weren’t getting in.

I talk to lots of people as I’m involved in all of our programs and learned that folks were apprehensive to try autocross for a couple of reasons. So, we eliminated those reasons by focusing on coaching and putting on fun-run events and advanced CCC so members can get their feet wet without the stress of competition. It seems to have worked. Plus, many folks are getting their friends involved, which is great. That’s how many of us got started, me included.

The Chapter is doing a full court press on our membership to get more people involved. Cars & Coffee meetups are happening in all regions, tech sessions, and social gatherings. Our calendar is chock full of fun stuff to do.

Hal Dorton
    Participant

Pull Diane and I from the waitlist. See you guys at TDS.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Registration for July’s event will open at Midnight tonight guys…

http://msreg.us/ggcautox-071313

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.