January 19, 2013 – Course Rewind Fun Event

Welcome to the GGC Autocross Program Forums GGC Autocross Forums Autocross Discussion January 19, 2013 – Course Rewind Fun Event

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

You’re getting too fast, Charlie!!! :ohmy:

John Kim
    Participant

The more I read here, the slower my lap time feels!

School me on this–how much difference would a LSD make on this course? How many seconds off with stickier tires like Star Specs, Hankook R-S3, or Advan Neova AD08? I was running an E46 330i similar to Jeff’s with 200 RWHP (dyno tested at Thunderhill), stock 4.07 open diff and 340 treadwear summer tires (245mm front, 255mm rear).

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

Race prep M3??? 😛 I have a AA car that goes to Gonzo by changing wheels and tires. I trailer it because of the Hoosiers, and because I can. 🙂

Tires make a huge difference! You’ll get at least a couple of seconds from going from a 340 TW tire to a Star Spec tire. The more grip you’re getting from your tires, the more you’ll need a LSD. If you watched my video from last year, you can hear the inside wheel spinning in at least 6 or so corners, till it finally hooks up. That was on a stock LSD with over 155K miles on it. Last weekend I didn’t notice any slip.

Charlie has a very well prepared car with a very experienced driver setting it up. Well done Charlie!

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

I did a 51.762 last October… probably would have done better this time with more runs as others have reported. I think it was warmer on Saturday than it was last fall too, that helped with grip. I have a 3.46 open diff in mine – that was the best $200 I’ve spent on the car.

The Star Specs are pretty ideal for Marina because they don’t require a lot of heat to get going like the RS-3’s do. We have lengthy waits between runs and the weather is usually overcast and on the cooler side with a brief appearance of the sun during lunch.

LSD makes a huge difference… that’s why we charge a lot of points for that mod. I have one in my Jeep and its value is so obvious when compared to my car on my main drive home. Adding one to my car would drain my wallet, but also push me up into AAA with the big HP boys.

Try to get some seat time in a mostly stock E36 M3 at the TnT. You’ll immediately see the difference an LSD makes, and also get real angry at the DBW throttle in your E46. I loath it and wish I could rip it out.

Oh, one thing that may have contributed to slightly quicker times is the position of the finish timer. We moved it a bit closer to the last corner this time around. Certainly not .7s closer though.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

[quote=”poweryosh” post=1084]I would like to thank Matt V. and Jeff R. for making us feel so welcome on Saturday! It was great to have your coaching and input on how to drive the course. And showing us the ropes and introducing us around to the other members. It really help out a bunch. We had such a great time and are looking forward to the next time!!! Everyone was so friendly we felt like we had been members for a long time even though it was our first time there.
    Thanks again
    Troy Y. and Nikki C.[/quote]

Hi Troy –
    Your description is exactly what we shoot for at every event! I had a blast coaching you and you did great. That was a challenging course for first-timers, but had so many fun and fast elements to it.

I’m sure we’ll see you out with us in the future and I am shooting for March to have a social event somewhere central to all our 831 members. If you have any ideas where 20-30 folks can easily park and have access to coffee or food, let me know.

John Kim
    Participant

Jeff, thanks. I did try R-S3 tires before and they were very grippy once hot, which usually worked well in Fontana or at Qualcomm as long as it didn’t rain. Never tried the Star Specs. My current Conti ExtremeDW don’t need a lot of heat but max grip is far less than warm Hankooks. What class am I in anyway?
    [ul]
    [li]Base Points 42[/li]
    [li]Wider front wheels +1[/li]
    [li]Springs & shocks +12[/li]
    [li]Camber plates +5[/li]
    [li]Engine Lvl 7 mode, no LSD = +1 (dyno) or +2 (paper)[/li]
    [/ul]
    61-62 points puts me in AA with 7-8 points room. Did I do the math right there? Maybe front swaybar and even wider wheels when the time is right. Or get rid of some seats! But who am I kidding, it’s mostly about improving my driving. I wasn’t able to execute all the suggestions Tony gave me.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Looks about right to me John. I’m a 65 point car… no engine mods, but I have points for rear diff and sways.

I’m anxious to see how the new ZII’s perform. My Star Specs are pretty heat cycled out at this point. A little bird told me the ZII’s will start shipping in March.

Tony Holland
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I had a great time, I am sure most everyone else did also =D I loved helping the new people and seeing them go faster every run. ( wish i could help myself the same ) My car was almost 5 seconds quicker on the Dunlops, needless to say I am pleased. I realized where I was making mistakes all too late and maybe could’ve squeaked out a 51.00 something. Tip to everyone, watch the fast cars and be like them if you can!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve uploaded a bunch of photos here, mostly from Run Group 3:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59hljfiou8f0nyn/2t5EnRAF_X

Higher-resolution originals can be accessed from the gear icon in the lower right. Dropbox does some nasty compression otherwise.

–arash

Marc
    Participant

[quote=”arash” post=1099]I’ve uploaded a bunch of photos here, mostly from Run Group 3:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59hljfiou8f0nyn/2t5EnRAF_X

Higher-resolution originals can be accessed from the gear icon in the lower right. Dropbox does some nasty compression otherwise.

–arash[/quote]

Thanks Arash! nice pix!

Mark Mervich
    Participant

I missed you all last Sat. I was very sick. Sounds like you had a great time.
    Are we on for Feb 23?
    Mark

Hal Dorton
    Participant

Olivia is running with her new engine.

John Kim
    Participant

Did you find a co-driver for Olivia for Nationals?

Hal Dorton
    Participant

Not yet. A couple of people are runing the numbers to see if they can afford it.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.