Front sway bar setting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cowan
    Participant

Hey all, I have an adjustable front sway bar for the first time ever. Three positions available. Generally speaking, is there a recommended setting? Is full stiff generally ‘best’ or is it more of a fine tuning thing based on all suspension components? I just got it installed so haven’t had any time to test it in any of our pre-season events. I do have a stiff front spring and the bar is set in the middle position. I will be running -3 degrees+ front camber on R-comps. This is for the E90 M3.

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

The way I understand it, you setup your car with springs and shocks, then fine tune with your sway bar. Too much understeer, set for softer, stiffer to dial out oversteer.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant
    Hal Dorton
    Participant

What does the car weigh, front of the car, spring rates, swaybar thickness, the length of the arms of the swaybar at each hole? We can always adjust it at lunch as well.

Jeff Cowan
    Participant

Hal, I’ll try to get that info. It all got installed and personally setup by Steve D. in rather short order and I didn’t have a chance to input. He did say that for Autocross, he would prefer a softer spring in the front than what I have in there but I’ll just have to make do for this event. This leads me to believe that the middle or softest position of the bar may be the best compromise if the spring is really stiffer than ideal.

If you go to my fb page, you can see the pictures of the suspension bits posted recently. The sway bar is there. I think the rear spring is 750. Trying to get the front spring rate info and sway bar thickness (this is a new sway bar, not on their website yet).

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

It really just depends on how it feels to you. I adjusted mine to dial out understeer. Started full stiff in the rear, mid-way on the front and ended up going one notch stiffer on one side of the front for a balanced feel. I fine tune with shock valving since it’s easier to change that.

Too bad you didn’t have this done before TnT… the figure-8 is ideal for this kind of tuning.

Jeff Cowan
    Participant

I tried! I was slave to their schedule. Will figure it out 🙂

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Don’t they know who you are? Sheesh! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.