Crows Pix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mark Mervich
    Participant

I promised pictures from Crows Landing event.
    http://markm.zenfolio.com/p897646359
    Enjoy

Matthew Visser
    Participant

Great pics Mark! What did you think of it as a venue?

Here is the link to the online version of the newspaper article:
    http://www.modbee.com/2013/08/10/2856847/autocross-enthusiasts-fuel-need.html

Mark Mervich
    Participant

[quote=”MattV” post=1839]Great pics Mark! What did you think of it as a venue?

Here is the link to the online version of the newspaper article:
    http://www.modbee.com/2013/08/10/2856847/autocross-enthusiasts-fuel-need.html%5B/quote%5D

Excellent venue. We hope to be back for many events. Only downside is that the concrete is a little hard on tires. One person said “we rented 15% of the earth’s surface”. The main runway is 7200 feet by 200 ft. and there is a second shorter runway. We could easily do 2 events at the same time.
    Mark

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

[quote=”AutoXer” post=1841][quote=”MattV” post=1839]The main runway is 7200 feet by 200 ft. and there is a second shorter runway.[/quote]

Won’t that really limit your course design options?

I watched some videos… you had a 90s course on Sunday. How many course worker stations did you have to cover all that space? Did someone drive them out to their posts? 🙂

Barry Twycross
    Participant

The course was very long and thin. It didn’t suit the MINI’s setup, and I wasn’t fond of it for several reasons (not least of which was it didn’t suit the car I was driving). I think they had 13 station, the worker’s walked out to their stations. They were all relatively close to the center.

My laptimer map this map for me:

[img]http://btwyx.com/Pictures/Crows.jpg[/img]

Mark Mervich
    Participant

[quote=”jeffroberts” post=1844][quote=”AutoXer” post=1841][quote=”MattV” post=1839]The main runway is 7200 feet by 200 ft. and there is a second shorter runway.[/quote]

Won’t that really limit your course design options?

I watched some videos… you had a 90s course on Sunday. How many course worker stations did you have to cover all that space? Did someone drive them out to their posts? :-)[/quote]
    It does limit the course design, but so does a small square lot. Check more videos here http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=10830&start=0&rid=26
    to see some of the elements. The long fast slaloms were a lot of fun in my car, near top of 4th gear.

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

Thanks Barry… I skimmed thru 10 pages of the forum post on the event. 13 stations is a lot to cover!

They mentioned a “new computer system” any info on that? Curious to know what they’re using now.

Barry Twycross
    Participant

I don’t know what the new system was. It had a dot matrix display (a not terribly big one). I assume they had it for the test and tune event so they could have one timing system for each course. On the day it was giving you split times for the first half of the course.

Mark Mervich
    Participant

I think it was an upgraded version of Axware. It had an iphone for the guy queuing cars(instead of the scanner we used to use) and live results via wifi.
    Mark

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

[quote=”AutoXer” post=1851]I think it was an upgraded version of Axware. It had an iphone for the guy queuing cars(instead of the scanner we used to use) and live results via wifi.
    Mark[/quote]

I bet it was AXTi.me’s software. We had them come demo the AXWare integration for live results at our Candlestick event back in April. They have been working on a new system for a while.

Did the wifi results look something like this?

If you can ask the chairs/powers that be, that would be great. Chris and I have been talking on and off about seeing a live demo. They use it at LPR events.

Charlie Davis
    Participant

Jeff-

Yes, it’s Chris Trailer’s system. It has great potential. I’ll be working with him to fine tune the announcer client, as it’s still in its infancy. I want to show him the screens I have with SCCA National’s system, which make just about anyone literate sound professional on the mike.

The course was epic, but really too long and hard to manage for regular events. You are right that there are course design limitations. There is a tie-down area that is actually a better site, appears to be used by an EVOC training group (sheriffs, I believe) and may not ever be available to us. Clever use of the area where the runways cross might yield some sweepier turns.

Justin Tsang
    Participant

[quote=”btwyx” post=1845]The course was very long and thin. It didn’t suit the MINI’s setup, and I wasn’t fond of it for several reasons (not least of which was it didn’t suit the car I was driving).[/quote]

Transition course that didn’t suit the mini?

Barry Twycross
    Participant

It was a fast course. I’ve setup the MINI with short tires in with the assumption that I won’t need to go that fast. I was hitting the limiter in second everywhere. Most courses I can shift into second and not worry about it, I haven’t had much if any practice shifting down again. The one time I have tried shifting back to second from third was a disaster.

That course needed several shifts up and down. As I said I was hitting the limiter everywhere when I tried it in second, when I tried it in third it was slower. I needed more shifts. I probably would have done much better with our other tires which are taller.

Mark Mervich
    Participant

[quote=”btwyx” post=1871]It was a fast course. I’ve setup the MINI with short tires in with the assumption that I won’t need to go that fast. I was hitting the limiter in second everywhere. Most courses I can shift into second and not worry about it, I haven’t had much if any practice shifting down again. The one time I have tried shifting back to second from third was a disaster.

That course needed several shifts up and down. As I said I was hitting the limiter everywhere when I tried it in second, when I tried it in third it was slower. I needed more shifts. I probably would have done much better with our other tires which are taller.[/quote]
    Same thing for me. More shifts. It does take practice. I was working 3/4 and made the shift 3 times, but I hit top of 3rd 2 other times; missed opportunity for a faster run.
    Mark

Barry Twycross
    Participant

I haven’t had the opportunity to practice shifts much at autocross, it hasn’t been needed (much). The 3->2 shift is the most awkward one. When I’ve been driving on track with the MINIs, there are a few places where I do need a 3->2 shift (like turns 11 at Laguna and Sonoma), but there there’s a straight leading up to it, to give you time to get your act together, and I’ve done it so many times I know exactly where I need to shift.

Shifting in autocross is much different, there’s no time to think and I have to get the right shift pattern within a few runs. Without much practice at it, I was a bit lost there. I was trying to work out a shift pattern looking at the data on the lap timer, but I got it wrong. A shift somewhere along the long side, and on the final “straight” (negative offset slalom) would probably have worked, so I’d need to have shifted down going into the final sweeper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.