Bikes allowed at Marina?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Donald Lew
    Participant

Sorry if I’ve missed the information if previously distributed, but the info for the TDS is the first time I’ve read that bicycles are not allowed at Marina. I have heard in the past that skateboards, or possibly scooters might not be allowed, but haven’t heard bikes are banned too. My apologies, as I have brought my bike a few times to Marina, and I must say it makes the journey from the back part of the parking paddock to the trailer a whole bunch easier!
    Anyway, if someone would confirm or clarify please, and I’ll comply as needed. Thanks!

Jeff Roberts
    Participant

It’s a loosely enforced rule and I have not seen a need to make a stink about it. None of the on-site folks have either. The language was passed down from the previous team. I’ve seen it elsewhere too.

That said, I don’t want to see 50 bikes at TDS next month. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

But don’t ride on course. Ask me how I know.

Jack Yu

That’s why Dave is so fast ๐Ÿ™‚

Donald Lew
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the info! Looking forward to the TDS! Likely driving only slightly faster than my bike can go, but it will still be fun!

John Kim
    Participant

I will say there are absolutely no Rollerblades or in-line skates allowed. They are a hazard and anybody seen skating around the Marina airport should be considered unbalanced in one way or another. Rumor is once someone was seen trying to skate and eat a cookie at the same time during a car control clinic. This is potentially confusing to drivers so should not be tolerated.

For track/HPDE events I have seen some ban bikes and others allow regular bicycles but ban skateboards or motorized scooters. I think the concern is that skateboarders, in-line skaters, scooters, etc. can behave in ways drivers will not anticipate and increase a risk of an accident in the paddock. Drivers in helmets and loud cars look out for just other cars and pedestrians, and may not anticipate a faster wheeled vehicle that is not a car.

At least that’s my theory.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by John Kim.
    Andy Daniels
    Participant

Rumor is once someone was seen trying to skate and eat a cookie at the same time during a car control clinic. This is potentially confusing to drivers so should not be tolerated.

The red and green flags flying behind this rumored skater were spectacular, however. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dave Dunwoodie
    Participant

Stop glamorizing this illicit behavior. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.