Arc-8 18" x 9.5" on E46 M3

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brad Vaughan
    Participant

Could find a way to PM people, so posting this open.

I have an opportunity to buy some APEX wheels (Arc-8, anthracite 18×9.5).

Wondering if any of you square setup (E46 M3) guys have any thoughts on;

1. 9.5″ too wide ? Good clearance ?
    2. Tire size, brand/model ?

It will put me in AA for AutoX but I am more thinking more track time.

Brad

Nick Li
    Participant

Brad,

I’m using a 9.5 inch wheel with 265/35/18 Super Sports all around. On full lock, there is some slight rubbing to the plastic fender cover but it fits nicely. Since you don’t have camber plates, the wheels will stick out a little.

Andy Daniels
    Participant

I’m all for anything that gets you out of A class, Brad. ๐Ÿ˜›

Brad Vaughan
    Participant

The wheels are currently mounted with Michelin PSS. It looks like these are not very sticky rubber. The have more wet weather performance. I am currently asking to have them removed so I can mount Dunlops..

What do people think of the PSS… Nick, whats your experience ? Compared to what ?

Andy Daniels
    Participant

I don’t have personal experience with the PSS tires, but a tread wear rating of 300 suggests to me that you’re probably right about their stickiness, or lack thereof.

We’ve been running Dunlop ZIIs for the last two seasons and have been reasonably happy with them. I’ve heard mixed opinions on the new Star Spec that replaces them, but it looks like the older model is still available.

Nigel Mott
    Participant

Hi Brad. I ran PSS on my Z3 Coupe all season. I’m a Michelin fan and they are not too bad. I found them linear and predictable, with no evil attributes. If you were running Autocross, HPDE and Daily Driver in the wet, I think they would offer a good compromise. I see many of the fast folks are running Z11’s, but Grassroot Motorsports also had good things to say about the G-force Rivals and so I fitted a set to my spare wheels for the last event. Rivals have a 200 tread wear rating vs the 300 of the PSS. I felt the Rivals offered a bit more grip and carving ability and so I’ll run them from this point forward.

I think you’d enjoy AA. It’s full of really slow folks who are very easy to beat: Ratko, Jeff, Tim, The K brothers…… not.

Brad Vaughan
    Participant

Any votes for Hankook R-S3 ? They are a little cheaper than ZII Star Spec..

And I know about the double A’s.. All very fast.. Ratko car is only 1 point out of A. Maybe I will stick the 19″ back on for AutoX ๐Ÿ™‚

Jack Yu

As long as the offset is 35, those are the ideal sizes for my e46 M3 and 265mm tires. I would have bought those if they were available back when I bought my 18×10’s, which are a bit overkill for 265’s (and cost me two unnecessary points). I know for sure they won’t rub if you have camber up front (I have -3.0 up front). The rear has plenty of room camber or not. My 18×10’s don’t rub but I also use 10mm spacers all around (again more for the front to prevent rubbing, the rear is more or less optional for spacers).

Hal Dorton
    Participant

As we transition to 18x11s I have three sets of 18×10 D-Forces in Black, Anthracite and Silver

Ratko
    Participant

Brad,

I’m running EC-7, et35 18×9.5 all around with 255/35/18 Yokohama AD08 without any rubbing issues. This is stock suspension with minimal camber in front. I think I could fit 265/35 all around, which is what I’ll get for next year.

If you haven’t seen it yet, here is a good thread done by Apex to see different fitments on E46 M3:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=959715

Bill Richter
    Participant

Good thread, and good reference thread as well.

Does anyone have a single 275/35/18 I could borrow to test fit on my M3? Only need it to go around the block, so it isn’t a problem if it’s worn out, as long as the air isn’t showing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Michael Kolesar
    Participant

I just wish I could run the size tires you guys have. I thought I was going huge with my 15×8″ 225/45/15s. 8 points just in wheel width alone.

Bill Richter
    Participant

Width to weight, you’re probably pretty close…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.